Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Marvelous Monday

This may sound funny to many of you; but, Karen is the cook of the house. Most Mondays she will toil around the kitchen (many times while on conference calls) making the delicious meals for the week.
The process all starts on Sunday when she popped up and asked to get the list of ingredients for the next day. From the basement - Spaghetti Squash, a pie pumpkin, a butternut squash and a delicata squash (find out more about these squash). From the freezer - Hamburger, dark chicken meat and butter.
Then, I am at the school all day on Monday, returning at Midnight. So, to me, it is like Magic. I come home to a multitude of treasures in the fridge. This week

Karen Roasted the Pumpkin and Delicata squash; removed the pulp and sauteed it with the hamburger and a little tomato sauce. She then stuffed the mixture back into the shells of the squash.

She also removed the pulp from the butternut squash and made risotto with it. Topped with roasted cashews and hazelnut oil...YUM!

Like magic, in the fridge was spaghetti squash cooked with fresh tomato sauce.

She also made 2 qt of chicken broth and pulled about 2 pounds of chicken meat from the bones for a future treat. Everything was awesome (I had to try a little bite of everything right away). But, the most momentous thing to me is that she made the chicken stock. I have a little reputation of being very exacting when it comes to soups stocks and sauces. Karen has never ventured into this realm with me before. There is nothing better then the purity of a soup that is made with love. The foundation starts with the hours of love put into making a wonderful broth. She made love yesterday while I was at work.

I wish I was there to see her doing her dance in the kitchen.

No comments: