Sunday, March 01, 2009

Wired on the good stuff!


My question to both of you that read our blog is, "Did you try making the potato soup?" We are still finishing the last few bowls of that delicious concoction that seemed to mate and multiply each time we closed the refrigerator door. It was amazingly well timed with us hosting a luncheon Friday in which we produced about 8x the amount of mashed potatoes needed, so we are living in starch heaven! I would like to tell you we are putting those carbs to good use by running a marathon today, but, as usual, we're just cooking........and, eating. Seriously. You know us. Do we look like marathon runners?

At the luncheon yesterday, we received lots of compliments about our coffee. Neither of us have taken up part-time barista employment (though that's not a bad idea), which means it must have been the coffee beans we purchased at the Indy Winter Farmers' Market from Harvest Cafe Coffee Roasters. If you miss them at the Farmers' Market, they do offer private appointments! I'm enjoying a cup now so that I can embrace the day! Helloooooooooooooooooooo, world!

The question of the day is, "If I sprinkle this coffee on the laundry, will it fold itself?" One could only hope.

For those of you carefully tracking our green bean saga, I would like to reinforce that everything you need to know about life you learned in elementary school. I have one of those particularly finicky mothers who packed fruits and vegetables in our lunch (occasionally along with riddles, yes, riddles); all the while we longed for any "Hostess" product. We struggled with the lunchroom trade for two reasons: we once attended a school so strict that talking was not allowed during lunch and because NO ONE WANTED TO TRADE CUCUMBERS FOR A HOSTESS CUPCAKE! However, we have found new application of this age old principle by trading some of our carefully frozen green beans for beautifully canned tomatoes. Thank you, Kellie! You have saved us from certain green bean death!

While I look at our growing compost pile through the window, I'm wondering what else I'll add to it today. It will certainly contain scraps from these tasty meals.....

Black Bean Tamales - I have to admit I cheated here and bought these from "The Tamale Guy" at the Farmers' Market. They need to be steamed for about 50 minutes. With them, I'll be serving salsa (frozen this summer) and Spanish rice (organic rice cooked in the rice cooker with a bit of saffron and tomato juice stirred in). To give the rice an extra nutritional boost, I will be adding wheat berries to the concoction in the rice cooker. The ones we have were grown locally at Agape Farms. They can be purchased at the Trader's Point Winter Farmers' Market.

Mediterranean Extravaganza - I love this cuisine! So, today, I pulled eggplant from the freezer that I charred on the grill, removed the peel and pureed this summer. When it thaws, I will add salt and pepper and serve it with warm pita bread from Al-Basha in Fishers, IN. It will be a great complement to Mediterranean Lentil Soup (recipe will be posted tomorrow).

Mangia! Mangia! Pasta - This is the quickest "slow food" I could concoct (and still use some of those blessed green beans). See recipe below. I used pasta that we purchased during a trip to a Farmers' Market in Scottsdale, AZ. The company is called DeCio Pasta, and they make delicious products! For the recipe below, I used the spinach, basil and garlic pasta. You can substitute any pasta you like.

No comments: